View Single Post
Old February 23, 2013, 08:10 PM   #34
Willie Sutton

Gentlemen:

Ya'll are way too smart for this.

I am working out a way to make our viewpoint of being a CCW holder palatable to Soccer Mom. She thinks a modern sporting rifle is an assault rifle. She thinks that a 15 shot standard-capacity magazine is a large-capacity magazine. She also thinks a first reponder is someone who is there to help her thru the awkward moments when she needs a nanny to take care of her. We want her to like us and to believe that we can serve her interests. So let's use language that she "gets" in order to get her confidence and maybe her vote. She can care less about the 2nd amendment. She will tune out our other talking points. But convince her that we can make HER and HER CHILDREN safer and we win.

This is politics: accuracy is not the point. Let's learn from the opposition, learn to control the language used, and learn to direct some of the propaganda effort our way.

Note that:

I shoot a modern sporting rifle.

My Beretta 92 is fitted with a standard capacity magaine.

And I am a CCW for the same reason that I hold a CPR card, and hold an EMT certificate, and have a fire extinguisher in my car. It's because in the minutes before a full time professional comes to relieve me, I am a first responder who is willing to help society at the same time that I am helping myself.

She understands those words. That's all that counts.

Willie

Page generated in 0.03632 seconds with 8 queries