View Single Post
Old August 22, 2011, 12:46 AM   #19
Bill Akins

Quote:
Stephanie B wrote
Almost English in concept: A fascinating idea with no practical application.

I say: Go for it.
I see you understand it too Stephanie B.

And you just gave an excellent definition of "Steampunk".

"Almost English in concept" (Victorian Jules Vernian style "Steampunk" is HUGE in England and may have originated there, perhaps as an offshoot of the "Doctor Who" series type of genre).

And...."A fascinating idea with no practical application."

Exactly....except for pure fun. The best definition of "Steampunk" I've ever heard. You nailed it Stephanie. You also defined archaic, Victorian muzzleloading shooting in general in our technologically advanced weapons time we live in. With more advanced weapons available to us....muzzleloading shooting is (arguably) just for pure fun too.

I'm not what you would classify as a "Steampunker" at all. I've read a bit about it and find some of the Victorian/Vernian things built by Steampunk fans to be very inventive and imaginative (but usually fake, inoperative and strictly for looks). I didn't intend for my ideas in this thread to be "Steampunk"....but they no doubt fall into that category.

But it MIGHT have had a practical application say in 1863 in a parallel world, slightly timeline deviating, earth. .

Now where is that time traveling Tardis phone booth and what was the exact longitude, latitude, and time dimensional coordinates of Tredegar Iron works front office? But I gotta take fellow TFL member Doc Hoy with me. Because after all......he is......"The Doctor".

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; August 22, 2011 at 02:47 AM.

Page generated in 0.02298 seconds with 8 queries