View Single Post
Old November 6, 2005, 01:24 PM   #10
AJ Peacock

KingPin,

Your current proficiency with your firearms will help determine what type of training you should get.

For example, we have several local shooters (retired LEO/competitve type shooters) around here that teach CCW, tactical shooting etc. They do it as a sideline and do it basically 'for free'. They have attended the different 'famous' training academies and have learned a lot from each one (not disciples of any of them though). The one thing they have impressed upon me is that if the SHTF, my job is to STAY ALIVE. They told me that too many people get into the mode of 'Shoot the Bad Guy' instead of 'Stay Alive'.

For most shooters, spending some time with local 'experts' to gain a solid foundation of firearm handling, accuracy etc. is better time spent than traveling to a 'big/specialized' training academy.

Self defense/firearms training is a LONG process (entire lifetime). Having a local mentor/teacher is nice, as they aren't all the way across the country when you have a question/concern.

Once that basis is set, then it may be advantageous to attend a bigger more specialized school.

I'm not negative on anyone going anywhere to learn something. I've heard good things about the previously mentioned schools. I just wanted to give you a little different perspective to consider.

If/when you attend one of the schools, make sure you post your experience.

If/when I attend one, it will be in Phoenix in January.

Good Luck,
AJ

Page generated in 0.02496 seconds with 8 queries