View Single Post
Old October 2, 2005, 06:40 PM   #44
butch50

The original question was
Quote:
Personally, I always struggle with this. Is it really my obligation to take action? Certainly I might agree with this if my actions did not put me at risk. However, I am not sure that is true when I might become injuried, disabled, or killed. In fact, even if I personally feel compelled to act, I feel as though I have to weigh the potential disasterous consequences and its impact on my family.

Personally, I am a proponent of carrying for the defense of yourself and your family. Any other use should be carefully weighed. In my mind, if it does not involve me or my family, I need compelling reasons to act. The default is not to take actions unless I must.

I also often wonder what my obligation is to take action to help/defend those who have not taken actions to be prepared. If they are unwilling to carry a way to defend themselves, why should I feel obligated to defend them? I know it sounds cold but it makes sense to me.
And this is very hard to discuss when it is a generalized question without specific situations. However, if you as a non LEO citizen with a ccw, think you might can rescue someone because you have a gun, then you should at least consider the following:

1. Can I rescue this person at no risk to myself? If the answer is yes then get after it. But if the answer is no then:
2. What happens to my family if I get killed attempting to rescue a total stranger? Who takes responsibility for my family after I get killed? Who will my children call Daddy? Can my wife support our kids at the same level without me? How would she vote on this situation if she could?
3. Why hasn't this person taken the responsibility of protecting himself? Why is he a victim when he could be armed and taking care of himself? Why doesn't he take responsibility for himself in situations like this? What is it that makes him weak, and therefore "requires" my help?
4. Why should I risk my life and my family's welfare and security for a stranger that I know nothing about? Is this a good person or a bad person? Am I going to risk my life for someone who turns out to be a wife beater and dog kicker? He might even be anti gun, anti hunter! What if he is a democrat?
5. If I barge in will I cause more damage than if I dont barge in? Will I cause the BG to start shooting where otherwise he might not shoot?

Basic questions to consider. Again, it is hard to definitively answer this question without an extremely specific scenario.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry

Page generated in 0.02146 seconds with 8 queries