View Single Post
Old July 31, 2014, 07:13 PM   #1
cptmclark

New Leupold scope issues

I've talked with Leupold about my frustration. They are deightful folks and want to work with me to help me end up with the right product for me. I was frustrated to be shootiing my shiny new VX-II (or whatever the new one is called) on my really accurate 308 hunting rifle, and also a less expensive scope on my Marlin 44 mag, at the same time. Sadly, the cheap scope is bright and ultra clear, allowing me to see fine detail at the 100 yard target while the better Leupold is less bright and not well focused. Bummer. My old eyes need crisp focus on the target and most of my rounds are shot at a 100 yard target range. Wish i could hunt more but it is what it is. Leupold says that I should get a rimfire scope with adjustable objective to shoot at 100 yards, as they are of equally good quality, and the hunting scopes are parallax adjusted at 150. Didn't think it should make that much difference. I look it up and see that the rimfire scope has much less eye relief though, a deal breaker.
My question is whether other brands of "hunting rifle scopes", such as my Bushnell Scopechief 3x9x40 and my Bushnell Legend 2x7x33 are parallax adjusted at closer range. Both are both brighter, clearly focused at 100 yards, and not expected to be of the quality of the new Leupold.
The Leupold guy suggested I take the new scope, along with two older Leupold scopes I have out at the same time and compare. Wow, a NEED to go to the range. Oh yea, even the new leupold has adjustment issues at 12 inches to the click. He said that's not uncommon and to run it from stop to stop a couple of times to correct that. Now there is some useful information as I have cussed scopes forever for waiting for recoil a time or two to decide to comply with my adjustments.
Sorry for so many words. I appreciate any scope wisdom. Parallax settings for fixed parallax scopes is hard to find.

Mike

Page generated in 0.02849 seconds with 8 queries