Thread: Press storage
View Single Post
Old November 20, 2012, 04:26 PM   #7
BigJimP

humidity is your enemy --- although in the late Fall and winter its less of an issue......but don't put things like newspaper next to the press ....it traps and holds moisture out of the air.

I wouldn't wrap anything in saran wrap either....air with moisture in it will go thur the wrap ....and then when it cools, you'll get moisture trapped on the inside of the stretch wrap.

Air circulation is good....

BoeShield is a really good product - or even a light oil is good...(like Rig #2 or even something as light as Rem Oil ). I buy BoeShield at my local woodworking store ( use it to protect my cast iron tool table tops ).

Light oil ....an old garage sale pillow case over it ...( cotton pillow case ) that breathes is good..../ if pillow cases aren't big enough ...go to a fabric store....look for relatively thin cotton fabric ( something ugly will be on sale )....and tell someone in there who knows how fabric is measured ( widths are different for some reason on some stuff )....but just tell them you need something cheap and 24" X 48" or whatever you need...

I asked my wife to make me a cotton cover....that covers both of my presses on the bench.....she sewed it up in about 20 min for me...

Check it in storage once every other week or so ...and check for moisture or any issues.

Page generated in 0.02983 seconds with 8 queries