View Single Post
Old July 31, 2011, 12:25 PM   #1
David the Gnome

Compact Grip for Ruger GP100 3"

This is how my GP100 3" came from the factory when I bough it a few months ago:

Notice how disproportionate it is with the factory Hogue grip. The Hogue grip is actually longer than the barrel. I couldn't stand how it looked and felt in my hand so I looked around and found that Ruger used to make a compact grip for the fixed sight GP100 models. It's a smaller more compact grip that uses the insert from the old SP101 grips.

They don't sell the complete grip anywhere anymore unless you can find one used. I ordered a complete SP101 grip (from the old model) to get the necessary parts and then just the rubber portion of the compact GP100 grip from Midway. I scavenged all the parts out of the SP101 grip and moved them over to the compact GP100 grip to give myself a complete grip for the GP100.

Here is the mostly finished product:

Notice how much smaller the whole gun looks with that grip! I have found this grip to be the most comfortable grip I've ever had on a revolver. It fits my hand perfectly, filling the entire palm and giving ample room for my hand without having excess grip hanging out. It also greatly improved the trigger reach, putting my finger right where I need it to get the best double-action pull.

My plan now is to get a good OWB leather holster and some nice wood inserts to replace the ugly black plastic ones I scavenged from the SP101 grip. This should make the perfect woods gun. All the ruggedness and reliability of the Ruger GP100 in a smaller and much more compact package. The best part is that the gun still weighs enough that shooting full power 357 Magnums is no trouble at all.

If you were interested in getting one of these grips yourself you'll want to order right now. They have them in stock right as of this posting but they go on back-order fast. I had to back-order mine and wait a couple weeks before they got more in stock. The company that made these grips went out of business so they aren't making any more of them.

Here is the compact GP100 grip:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=880222

And here is the SP101 grip that you'll need the parts from:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=230986

It's cheaper to buy the complete SP101 grip and take the parts from it than it is to buy all the parts individually.

Page generated in 0.03502 seconds with 8 queries