View Single Post
Old June 16, 2008, 10:10 AM   #3
ajohnny50

This method continues on past just striking him in the throat and has more than a few variations depending on what school of martial art you study and who your instructor is. In actual application, it probably wont go down nearly as smoothly, and more improvising will need to be done after the initial weapon sweep.

With your hands in the air, you use whichever arm would cause the weapon to sweep across less of your body than the other - IE, if its more to your left side, then you would use your right. Some instructors teach you to grab the slide of the gun, hopefully causing it to jam if it goes off. Others tell you to grab the wrist (at the joint, so the hand cannot pivot and still point the gun at you) and save your hand from the damage the slide would do.

The strike to the throat should land at the same time the gun is no longer pointed directly at you. Once the strike has landed, I was taught to step back with the foot that is on the same side as the gun, and sweep the striking hand to support the other hand that is holding the gun/wrist, pulling it (and the opponents body) towards you, and and issue a kick or knee strike with the now front foot to the attackers groin area.

Following the kick/knee, you can step back forward to close the distance and either use a wrist or elbow lock to make them drop the gun.

I was never of the understanding that the throat strike alone would cause them to drop the gun.

For what its worth, in every single disarming technique, whether from this "front and center" or "from the side execution style", I cannot think of an instance in which a student or instructor was able to shoot while the gun was still covering a part of their body.

Edited to say:

If I was armed, I would probably just sweep with my weak side, draw with my strong side, and use a bullet instead of my hand. :T

Page generated in 0.03662 seconds with 8 queries