View Single Post
Old November 20, 2013, 08:07 PM   #66
8MM Mauser

I find it hard to believe that someone would shoot another person's target...

I am not a professionally trained shooter, what I know has been gleaned from interactions with police and military friends (and a stint hoping for a career in Law enforcement), as well as some helpful strangers and coming from a family of hunters. I have done 99% of my shooting at a free public range. The Boy Scouts clean it up a couple times a year and the DNR swings by once or twice a year, or so I have been told.

I have never been nervous to see people loading weapons or handling guns behind me while I set up targets; it is common. If I really thought that they were dangerous people or dangerously mishandling their firearms I would not go to that range. Part of the reason I avoid the indoor ranges are here (besides price) is that there are always a bunch of morons there. Sometimes bachelors party's go there on their way to drink themselves silly and just giggle the whole time reciting movie lines and shooting at targets ten feet away and missing completely. Of course, I have never seen even those guys shoot another person's target FGS.

I suppose my range is just a lucky place; it is not marked at all and it is actually hard to find. I have been going there for over two years and I still miss it sometimes! It is the kind of place that you have to "know someone" to find. I knew someone who introduced me to it. It is a great place full of responsible shooters and only once or twice have I been nervous about anyone there.

One time I remember some jerk shooting an AK had himself positioned so that his brass was landing on my NRA hat while I was trying to sight in my rifle and help my BIL sight in his rifle. I asked him to stop and he ignored me, completely as though I had not spoken! When we went to check our targets I could not help but notice his was untouched by even a single round.

Once we went back to the 100 yard line he realized he was out of ammo and asked my BIL if he could borrow some as we were heading back. My BIL was shooting a Marlin 336 in .30-30! When he (my BIL) said no, the guy took out a Springfield XD pistol and blasted away like a maniac, rapid firing at a target 100 yards away he couldn't hit with a rifle...

I have not seen that guy come back though; and most people are both nice and responsible. Many of the older gents are actually happy to let you handle and/or fire their guns. I once had a guy ask for my help sighting in his red dot sight for a Glock 19 he had recently had a silencer fitted to. It was COOL because he let me shoot it while he watched and adjusted the sight. Anyway, I trust the people I shoot with, or I wouldn't shoot with them.

Page generated in 0.03332 seconds with 8 queries