View Single Post
Old April 23, 2013, 06:46 PM   #28
dcludwig

Quote:
A properly made spring is not going to go soft from being compressed, once or a thousand times. (How many times do the valve springs in your car get compressed driving to the grocery store? How many times have you replaced them to prevent flattening?)

As to guys with stripes and hashmarks knowing guns, we were told in basic training that the ammunition we were using (M2 Ball) was for training, and that "black bullets" (AP) were for combat. True, to a point. Then the instructor informed us wide-eyed 'cruits that training ammo was only powerful enough to penetrate the paper target and that it fell to the ground right behind the target. In the interests of not getting in trouble, I did not suggest he stand behind the target and confirm that.

Jim
Had to chuckle at this. I remember the first time a DI showed us the M16 he was adamant about how low the recoil was. He demonstrated by placing the butt firmly against his manly parts and fired it. I was impressed, but had no desire to duplicate the demonstration.

The valve spring on a car is an excellent analogy. But those who are convinced otherwise are usually firmly entrenched in that belief. I say to them do what makes you feel safe, you'll sleep better. It's much like the discussion about the Hillary hole on my S&W 642. I firmly believed that the internal lock would not fail. Yep, was certain of that. But.... I eventually "fixed" the problem and slept just a little better. Not so with the magazines. I keep mine fully loaded and I sleep just fine.

Page generated in 0.03755 seconds with 8 queries