Thread: 45-70
View Single Post
Old December 17, 2018, 09:31 AM   #19
reinert

Thank you, mehavey. I'm glad you brought the 45/70-muzzleloader comparison comment (along with a couple of stats) to the fore.

Just as a performance comment on the old cartridge, in 2001, using a Sharps repro in 45-70, using a compressed black powder charge of 68 grns. of 2fg GOEX powder, and a 411 grn. flat nosed cast bullet from my Lyman mould (using my 20:1 alloy, the bullets come out at that 411 grn. weight), and at a bit over 60 yds., I killed a good 6X6 bull elk. My shot impacted right behind the near shoulder, and exited through the off shoulder BONE. That bull went about 50 yds., and piled up. I was quite impressed by that handloaded B.P. cartridge's performance. I've killed whitetails, mule deer and antelope with that same rifle and cartridge, and every time, on every animal, that bullet has passed through the critter. They don't travel far, either, if they travel at all.

I'm not so sure a .45 cal. m.l. bullet would've done that. I'm quite certain a .45 cal. patched r.b. wouldn't do that (I have 3, .45 cal., patched r.b. shooters in the safe at home, and have used them quite often for target and hunting), but since I've never used an inline muzzleloader with the powder pellets and jacketed bullets available these days, I can't comment on results on big game. I'm just fairly certain that even the inline m.l.s, can't perform nor compare on the same level as the 45/70, and using black powder as propellant. I'd sure like to hear comparison comments on inline .45 cal. m.l. performance on mature bull elk at under 100 yds.

I also had a Miroku built '86 Winchester (full rifle, pre-tang safety) repro in 45/70, in which I used handloaded smokeless and jacketed bullets. It was a fine hunting rifle, very accurate, but a bit too clunky for me to pack around the mountains chasing elk. I got talked out of it in a trade...a very cool gun, just a bit too heavy for me to pack all day in the mountains. I don't believe I'd ever be convinced that an inline .45 cal. m.l. would come anywhere near performance of my handloaded smokeless rounds for my old '86. I only shoot B.P. in my Sharps.

Looks like these days, Marlin has come a ways in their quality. Get the Marlin in 45/70 (IMO). You'll have a lot of fun with the old historic cartridge. Don't know if your a handloader or not, but seems factory stuff has pretty much been quite available through the years. Maybe you'll even consider a load with B.P. and cast! A real blast!

Page generated in 0.02708 seconds with 8 queries