View Single Post
Old June 27, 2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Patriot86

To the OP you have the right idea.
That is pretty much the set up of my HD LAR-15, except I use, except I have different brand crap on my rifle. I really wish I could use an EO tech, something with my eyes though when my glasses are off the EO Tech ring is worthless, a normal red dot like an AIMPOINT I can still use at short range.

If you are a LEO or someone else who might be lugging a rifle around for a long time you could consider the LE6720 for a weight savings. Personally I like the change in balance it brings to the rifle, for me it points better but thats neither here nore there.

Quote:
Personally, if I were a LEO putting a rifle together for street use I'd build on an AR-10 platform. Why is that? Adversaries with ballistic vests and the necessity to shoot through obstructions/barriers to reach the target. The .223 simply cannot perform like a .308 in those situations.
Then you have a much more serious concern about overpenetration with 308/7.62 though. It is for sure a trade off between the two.

A level IIIA vest without a plate won't stop a 5.56. If it has a Level III or level IV plate, that plate is going to stop a 5.56 or a 7.62 unless you are using AP ammo. In regards to the barrier penetration I agree but that goes both ways.

I remember a video of a SWAT team shoot out with a baricaded suspect in a semi rural property. He had broken into the house and I believe some of the guns he used were actually taken from inside that home. When the cops showed up he went down in the basement shooting out of a ground height window at the officers. He would fire 5 or 10 quick shots then duck back behind a wall for cover. Some more penetration there would have helped.

I really wish I could find the video, it was captured on a home security system but its escaping me.

Page generated in 0.02286 seconds with 8 queries