View Single Post
Old May 3, 2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Addicted2Shooting

M1 Carbine slide malfunction - Need help!

I have an Iver Johnson M1 carbine .30 cal that I don't know much about.

When fired rapidly, the slide will partially come out of the grooved rails on the receiver and stick back. The person that gave me the rifle had already replaced the slide itself because someone told them that was the cause for the issue. However, the problem still persists.

Hopefully someone out there knows about these rifles and can provide me with some accurate information as to how to repair the issue.

I have included a picture to show what I believe appears to be the problem.(NOTE: The notches are at the TOP of the rail; the receiver in the picture is upside down) There are two little notches in the top of the slide rail on the receiver, near the back sight. The furthest notch towards the back appears to be a clean rounded half circle, while the notch a little further forward appears to be an elongated half circle (doesn't appear to be factory).

At any rate, the foremost notch is what allows the slide to get stuck back when fired, as it comes back and jumps partially out of the rail at that point and gets wedged into place. A firm forward bump on the slide shoves the slide back into place, but obviously this is not how the weapon should function.

Please let me know if the notches are supposed to be there, and if so, what for...if not, how did they likely get there? (Was it due to someone prying on the slide to disassemble it?) Just a thought, as it almost looks like the metal could be chipped.

Also, the the half circle notch at the back end of the rail, although it could be factory, doesn't make much sense because the slide doesn't ever come back that far.

What seems to be the cause for the slide issue?

ANY input will be appreciated!

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg notches.jpg (245.7 KB, 134 views)

Page generated in 0.02398 seconds with 9 queries