View Single Post
Old December 9, 2017, 12:47 PM   #39
taylorce1

Quote:
So, vs readily available Savage tools at low cost and parts plentiful ?
You don't have to fabricate any tool at all to get the nut off, but that tool helps you to reuse the original nut. This will really make some peoples heads spin, but if you really just need to get the nut off you can use a pipe wrench. Then for $50 you can get a new barrel nut and wrench to install it from Patriot Valley Arms, about the same price as a new Savage barrel nut and wrench from Northland Shooters. Pacific Tool and Gauge also makes a barrel nut for $17.50 plus shipping that either takes a spanner wrench or possibly the Savage barrel wrench, I don't know for sure but it would be easy enough for them to manufacture the new nut to fit existing barrel nut wrenches. So I would say the tools to change the barrel could be a wash.

Ruger's parts and tools availability will only get better as time goes on.

Quote:
Yea I could build it and I would do it better and I don't have that drill press, how many can though?

How many hole saws did he ruined to make that hole? Notice the smoke and lack of showing the cut through?
Pretty much anyone who seriously wants to DIY a barrel swap on a Ruger. It really doesn't matter if he ruined a bunch of hole saws, what matters is the process. The process used to build the wrench was sound, and easily followed for anyone wanting to build a barrel nut wrench. If you have better tools at your disposal why not use them?

Quote:
I suppose you could modify my car to race the Indy 500 but why would you spend 5 million on it when you can buy a Indy care for 1 million?
Many people feel the same way about people who modify/build Savage rifles. Those people haven't stopped me from building on Savage actions.

Page generated in 0.03746 seconds with 8 queries