View Single Post
Old January 17, 2009, 10:58 AM   #59
RonC

An attack by coyotes on a woman walking her dog was reported in the Denver papers yesterday.
She saw what looked like two dogs coming over to play with her yellow lab in a Broomfield (a bedroom suburb north of Denver) park. One of them attacked her and bit her arm. Her 75 lb lab attacked one of the coyotes and drove them both off. Fortunately, the teeth didn't go through her thick coat and she suffered only bruises.
These urban/suburban/ex-urban coyotes are losing or have lost their fear of humans, making them much more dangerous.
My wife won't carry a gun but does carry high potency pepper spray while walking our Greyhound and Golden Retriever mix. Greyhounds were bred in some places to chase down coyotes and similar pests, but the current racing Greyhound has likely lost that inclination or capability.
I carry a Ruger SP101 stoked with 38 spl +p or a 1911 Commander when walking the dogs or hiking in the mountains with my family. Regardless of legal consequences, I will have no problem with shooting any animal that attacks. That is not to sound macho, but just a natural reaction to protect my family.
Ron

Page generated in 0.03423 seconds with 8 queries