View Single Post
Old September 5, 2018, 09:26 AM   #78
FireForged

Quote:
That's not a very good summary of my post

1. I quoted Cooper who believed that there were three important components of handgun self-defense and I stated what those three things are.

2. I also stated that: "Speed is not the only thing that matters in a gunfight..."

The fact that I (along with Cooper and many others) believe that speed is one important component of handgun self-defense doesn't imply that speed is the only thing that is important. Nor does it mean that the fastest person always wins.

The fact is that there are a number of things (Cooper said 3, but I actually believe that there are more) that are critical to winning a gunfight.

Accuracy is important. No matter how good your equipment, how impressive your knowledge of tactics, how blinding your speed is, if you can't hit the target, you will be severely handicapped and may die in a gunfight as a result.

Speed is important. No matter how accurate you are, no matter how tactically brilliant you are, no matter how reliable your carry gun is, if you can't draw and score a solid hit before your opponent does, you will be handicapped and may lose the gunfight.

Tactics are important. No matter how fast you are or how accurate you are, if you stand still in the open in a gunfight against multiple opponents or even against a single opponent behind solid cover, the odds are against you. You need to know how to move, when to move, where to go, etc. For what it's worth, movement is not the only aspect of tactics--I just picked it as one example.

You can be super tactical, super fast, and super accurate but if your equipment doesn't work, you're at a tremendous disadvantage.

You can be the model of perfect tactics, an accuracy guru, have speed to rival Rob Leatham, be equipped sufficiently to cause a major gun manufacturer to have weapon envy and still lose if you aren't paying attention to what's going on around you until its too late.

I concede that you make a very reasonable point

Page generated in 0.03043 seconds with 8 queries