View Single Post
Old May 18, 2018, 08:18 AM   #66
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR
I guess it could be done if you cut a channel in the bolt for the hammer in the lower to hit the firing pin. I’m guessing the market is limited enough that the price would make you cry though.
Making me cry over price would be easy.

I don't think the challenge is design and engineering, but limited audience.

A Tubb rifle can be a five figure proposition. I envision a poor man's Tubb rifle - a bolt action with AR ergonomics and more AR parts than an RPR. I don't think the bolt design would be the problem - with the gas key removed and the back half of the barrier cut off, one should be left with a cylindrical shape that can rotate.

The design problem I see is the upper itself. With a channel for a bolt handle running all the way out the back of the upper the whole thing will be less stable and rigid. Maybe a steel upper would be the answer. since the charge handle would not be an element, that might be an area to add material as well.

This would allow construction of a free floated bolt action rifle with any AR lower, barrel and handguard. It seems like a reasonable extension of AR modularity.

EDIT - I can see the objection that this is a lot of trouble for little benefit. One might get much of that benefit from a side charge handle. I've never seen one that didn't look delicate or clumsy to use, and are optimised for semi-automatic rifles.

Last edited by zukiphile; May 18, 2018 at 10:12 AM.

Page generated in 0.02776 seconds with 8 queries