View Single Post
Old February 14, 2014, 03:34 PM   #22
RickB

Other than revolvers and lever-action rifles, I've never owned guns that didn't have a manually operated safety.
I prefer those that fall readily under the strong-hand thumb, but as a lefty I've had to adapt to other styles.
I prefer the frame-mounted safety that is swept downward to disengage, a la 1911, Hi-Power, CZ75, etc. I do not like slide-mounted safeties that have to be pushed up to disengage - Beretta 92, S&W metal frames - as it's un-ergonomic, and can compromise loading and malfunction clearing.
For long guns, I prefer a tang safety, as it's handy to either hand. Cross-bolt safeties are a hassle, unless they're reversible.
AR safeties I can work with my trigger finger, and it's not really much more difficult than using the thumb.
Due to all the different types of safeties on the market, having any manual safety makes the gun somewhat proprietary to the user, so in a self-defense situation involving a gun-grab - is there a safety? Where is the safety? How is the safety operated? It can buy you some time to take action.

Page generated in 0.03887 seconds with 8 queries