View Single Post
Old August 23, 2010, 03:09 PM   #24
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
But not many comments on the ammo, I have heard that under pressure the case will start to deform and can cause problems with chambering.
There is no issue with normal ammo deforming while sitting in a magazine. If you have to eject and repeatedly rechamber the same round, you can run into issues with setback and primer sensitivity.

Setback is basically the bullet getting pushed slightly deeper into the case with repeated rechambering so that when it is fired, the pressures are higher than normal.

Primer sensitivity issues due to ejecting and rechambering occur in firearms with free-floating firing pins. The pins slightly dimple the primer with each chambering (M16 family of weapons being the most common example of this) and with many repetitions this can result in the primer not performing as designed.

For this reason, I will rotate the top rounds in a magazine with other rounds in the magazine (assuming that I am regularly chambering and ejecting ammo from those magazines without firing it).

Page generated in 0.03131 seconds with 8 queries