View Single Post
Old September 6, 2012, 10:29 PM   #57
30-30remchester

After guiding for elk for 9 years and nearly 5 decades of hunting them, I do have some experence. I have either killed myself or seen over 100 elk taken. The 30-30 with good expanding bullets of heavy weight should work if your aim is good and the range is close. It is interesting all the different experences people have. One experenced Colorado hunter said that his elk are found in the timber at close range. While my experences have been just the opposite here in Colorado. Elk are very tough animals and ofter take multiple hits to secure. Interestingly one respondant seems to think more than a few buffalo could have been killed with a 30-30. Sadly by the time the 30-30 came onto the scene, all buffalo hunting had stopped years before. However I have actually killed a buffalo with a 30-30 as strange as that sounds. The key to killing very large game is quality bullets and good shot placement. I believe the Federal 170 grain Nosler Partion bullet should be the best load. I have only killed deer with this load, but have shot and seen shot scads of animals with that bullet without failure.

Page generated in 0.03422 seconds with 8 queries