View Single Post
Old January 8, 2020, 01:09 AM   #52
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Check out the video on JohnKSa's previous post. The gun used to illustrate set back is a Glock.
The slow motion video I've been talking about that I posted a link to in post #26 of this thread is of a 1911.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp-HFVG_c4Q
Quote:
What is the gun that leaves brass stripes up the fed ramp?
Most of the semi-auto pistols I own leave copper marks (jacketing material) on the feedramp during the feeding process.

I'm not going to do pictures of all of them, but here's a picture of the first one I pulled out of the box to check. This is a picture of a clean Glock 19 feedramp after having a commercial JHP round chambered 5x from the magazine. For whatever it's worth, that round now measures 1.09" COAL compared to 1.10" to the other round I pulled out of the box next to it that hadn't ever been chambered.

Not the greatest picture ever, but the jacket marks left by the impact of the bullet on the feedramp are clearly visible.
Quote:
Is there any way you can post a side view picture of your Walther with slide removed and magazine in the gun?
The top rounds sits low enough in the gun it's not easy to make anything out. However, while I was checking on it, I did note a bullet material streak on the feedramp of the PPK that more or less matches the mark on the Glock feedramp pictured above.

Sorry for the image quality, but here's the PPK feedramp showing jacket material marks.

Here's a picture that shows a couple of barrels with jacketing material marks on the feedramps. Note that this is not my image, it's from the article in the link below.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ge...-glock-barrel/

Quote:
Here we go I am quite sure that the pistol(s) that I have chambered and re-chambered the most are my PM Makarovs! A fixed barrel, straight blow back pistol...and this always with East Bloc, steel cased ammo. Almost all FMJ but JHP on occasion.
Interestingly enough, the worst case of setback I've seen was with a Makarov shooting aluminum cased ammo. I think that the biggest part of the problem was the aluminum cases not holding the bullet as firmly as brass would, but clearly some aspect of the pistol played a part in creating the issue.
Quote:
...my original question that ended the post was "should I be worried" is somewhat in limbo.
Now that you understand the topic and the potential issues, I don't think there's any need to worry. That's the best part of this topic. Once you understand the situation, it's really very simple to make absolutely sure that it can't become a problem.

If you're repeatedly chambering the same round, I would definitely check it once in awhile to see if it's setting back. Also, at some point, maybe it's time to shoot that round rather than chambering it repeatedly. Never hurts to get some practice once in awhile and to get some new ammo in your carry gun at the same time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Feedramp_small.jpg (209.9 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg PPKFeedramp_small.jpg (44.8 KB, 241 views)

Page generated in 0.03078 seconds with 9 queries