View Single Post
Old December 10, 2017, 01:49 PM   #27
LBussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC View Post
Now take your decapped brass and get it clean. This process has evolved some.I still use a vibratory bowl and media.Only run clean brass into your sizing die.
It was a chicken or the egg thing for me ... I was de-priming so I could wet clean. Now that I have the universal decapping die I won't have this issue again - at least not from dirty brass.

Quote:
Now you must wait,at least 15 min.30is better. The volatile carrier must evaporate before sizing,or you will stick cases.
That might be another problem. I'm sure I only waited a minute or two.

One Shot gets a lot of bad press and yet I know there are a lot of folks who use it with success. What I've normally used is Dillon. These were my first stuck cases in over five years of reloading which is what gets me. It's true, the brass was not cleaned first, but this was not random outdoor range pickup stuff. This was my brass, picked up off a concrete floor. I've done this before.

I can't argue with the fact that I stuck a case; twice. So, I'm left with blaming dirt, or blaming One Shot. The easiest thing would be to avoid both ever gain.

Quote:
In my experience,the Dillon bench tool ($100) works really well.
And that's what I'll be using. A friend is going to lend me his so I can try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugornot View Post
I have never had a stuck case, maybe because of my sequence of operations. I decap everything and then use an ultrasonic cleaner before the brass touches my dies.
And that will be my sequence as well, except I use stainless steel media.

You know you jinxed yourself by saying that though, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_98 View Post
.223 brass is too plentiful to waste time fooling with a bad batch. It is almost painful to let go a batch of nice looking brass, like that FNB appears to be, but the time and effort don't appear to be worth it.
With the universal decapper I had no issues at all so I can salvage the entire batch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
As the others commented, you have a form of what is called a staked crimp on that case.
I can see that in the picture (darned old eyes) and I can definitely see it now that they are cleaned of that sealer.

Like I said, now that I have the universal decapper I won't be tempted to use the sizing/decapping die on dirty brass. I have a pile of brass (including range pickups) that I need to swage so I'll put them in that pile and do them all some Saturday afternoon when I'm bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
It is better when it doesn't just tear the whole head off the case, as once happened to me. I recommend putting the die in your freezer for a couple of hours before trying it. Brass shrinks a little more than steel does in the cold. If you have dry ice, colder is better.
The die is already out in the mailbox. Hopefully I never have to do this again but if I do I'll be sure to try that too.

Page generated in 0.04159 seconds with 8 queries