View Single Post
Old January 31, 2022, 01:38 PM   #27
TunnelRat

Man shoots another man who is attacking a woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMarksman View Post

Not in prison.
The person who intervened in this story is also not in prison. I understand you have multiple points here, with which I generally agree. There can be and generally are legal implications of being involved in a use of force in defense of a third party and it’s practically impossible to know all the details of an altercation as just a casual observer. At the same time, not all intervention results in prison time (or life in prison for that matter).

As has been said, at some level each of us has to choose to what level we care or don’t care about some stranger in our society. A number of threads ago I shared a story of a man who was assaulted coming out of a convenience store at night. He was punched in the back of the head and fell unconscious in a sidewalk. The attackers then robbed him and ran away. People then proceeded to literally step over the man as he lay in the road. Eventually he was run over by a taxi and died from those wounds.

In terms of self preservation the people that stepped over him owed nothing to the man, and a harsh but fair comment might be the man should have known better going out later at night in not a great neighborhood. None of that changes the fact that a man died seemingly because no one was willing to make the slightest effort to help him. I don’t mean chase down or attack his attackers, I mean stop the taxi from running him over. I’m a realist. I expect nothing in terms of help. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t be grateful for the help were I that man or that I wouldn’t be grateful if someone helped a family member or friend in a similar situation. There’s a balance in all of this that is difficult and makes choosing to carry a firearm an incredibly impactful decision, which doesn’t always seem recognized (present company excepted).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; January 31, 2022 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Grammar

Page generated in 0.03986 seconds with 8 queries