View Single Post
Old November 28, 2020, 08:02 PM   #75
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I was under the impression ( it has been a while since I looked at the data) That it was the Agent that was leaning over the hood. I guess he missed them all then.
Gordon McNeill was shooting a revolver. He had an excellent position early in the gunfight--7-8 feet from the passenger compartment of the Monte Carlo. He fired four shots that missed, then Platt shot him in the hand, causing a pretty severe injury. McNeill fired two more shots which Anderson believe hit Matix in the head and in the neck going into chest. It seems likely that these two wounds were the reason, or at least a significant part of the reason that Matix never really played a part in the rest of the gunfight.

After the 6th shot, McNeill tried to reload but the injury to his hand prevented him, or at least drew the procedure out too long. Platt exited the Monte Carlo and shot him in the neck while he was trying to reload. McNeill survived, but was paralyzed for several hours.

I've often wondered how things would have played out if McNeill had been armed with a high-capacity 9mm and hadn't had to stop shooting after just 6 rounds. He had an excellent position and was able to neutralize Matix with his first 6 rounds. Had he been able to keep shooting, I think there's a good chance he could have ended the gunfight by incapacitating Platt with the remaining rounds in his gun. And there's also a chance that he might have been able to reload had he run dry. One report indicates that material from his wound (blood/bone fragments/etc.) prevented him from closing the cylinder after the reload. Slipping a new mag in might have been within his capability even with the injury.

Page generated in 0.03601 seconds with 8 queries