View Single Post
Old May 8, 2013, 08:20 AM   #5
Bart B.

For hunting, the best I've seen or heard of was one I witnessed back in 1954 when I was in high school.

Out at a local range shooting my .22 rimfire, this guy comes up to the firing line with a big leather case. He said he was going to do some practising for his next trip to Africa.

He pulls out a Rigby double .470 Nitro Express and hands it to me. "Check this out and if you want to shoot it, I'll let you." That sorta dropped my jaw. But he wanted to do his stuff first.

He took four clay pigeons out to the 25 yard target's backstop, about 28 yards away and stood them up in the dirt about 2 feet apart. Then back on the firing line, he chambers two rounds then puts two more between fingers on his left hand. Shouldering the double, he puts two shots down range shattering two clays. Drops the double breaking the action and as soon as the two empty cases clear the receiver his left hand pushed both new rounds into their chambers. Snapping that double back into battery, he broke the last two clays. All four shots in about 8 or 9 seconds.

I was amazed. Then he did it again. He explained his white hunter had a rule that for elephant, rhino and cape buffalo, clients had to shoot that well else he would not be their guide on the hunt. Shot placement on those big animals when they're up close, angry and headed for you at top speed is crucial. He asked me if I thought someone with a bolt action rifle could do that.

I fired one round myself; it didn't kick as hard as it pushed back. Missed the clay. Jerked it, no doubt.

Last edited by Bart B.; May 8, 2013 at 09:24 AM.

Page generated in 0.03293 seconds with 8 queries