View Single Post
Old January 26, 2001, 05:45 PM   #5
Hot Core

Rem PLHPs - Outstanding for the price!

A very long time ago I remember Layne Simpson lamenting that Remington had decided not to continue selling their PLated Hollow Points(PLHPs) to the market. At the time he said it had "Match bullet accuracy at bulk bullet cost."(or something like that)

Well, a couple of years ago, Remington once again made them available to handloaders. Just happened to remember Layne's article, so I ordered 500 of the 0.224" 50gr Rem PLHPs when Midway had them on sale. I use a whole lot of 0.224" bullets, so getting even "good" accuracy at a decent cost interested me.

I've been using them in a 223Rem that is capable of shooting in the 4s consistently and in the 3s enough to make me smile with Match Grade bullets. The 50gr Rem PLHPs consistently shoot in the 6s-8s using "random picked" bullets from the 500 count Lot. They impressed me enough that I ordered another 1000 the next time they went on sale.

Remington also makes them in a 0.224" 55gr size and a 0.243" 80gr size. I met a retired Winchester Rep at the range one day and he mentioned that he was shooting the 80gr Rem PLHPs in his 243Win. He said it was the best bullet "for the money" he had found for his 243Win.

Midway will be running them on sale in Feb. But, each rifle is a world of it's own and I'd still recommend you only buy 100-200 to try out before getting something your rifle might just not like.

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Page generated in 0.03611 seconds with 8 queries