Thread: Turkey Hunting
View Single Post
Old March 18, 2010, 08:22 PM   #8
bamaranger

pretty good

TC that sounds like a pretty tight pattern. A 10 inch circle just is not that big and that's a lot of holes! Forty yards to boot. I doubt that my pet #5 load would do as well.

I shoot 30 and use a std sheet of typing paper for target.

I use #5 these days after the Rifleman ran an article about turkey loads and pellet weights/energy. Truth is, shoot your birds at a reasonable range and #5 v. #6 will not make a hoot of difference. Fooling w/ shells and chokes does give a bit of knowledge and confidence though.

Best pellet count load I ever tested and hunted with was the Activ, 3" 2-1/4 oz of shot #6. It would put 220 pellets on a sheet of paper at 30 yds. I still have a partial box, a guy at work wants them bad.

Best load I ever counted, but have never killed a bird w/, is the discontinued Federal Heavyweight, 3" , 2 oz of ..#7-1/2!!!!! It put 300 + pellets (310 by count) on a sheet of paper at 30 yds. But #7-1/2 seemed very small for a general purpose turkey load. I still keep one in my vest for controlled ambush setup type hunts where I know I won't shoot past 30 yds. (blind hunts).

Finally, isn't it interesting that we have not heard from any of the space metal, tung shot folks yet???????

Page generated in 0.03617 seconds with 8 queries