Thread: 45/70
View Single Post
Old November 5, 2005, 10:36 PM   #23
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
As far as my tag line, it is in refrence to a bullet of realiable sectional density and weight at a realistic velocity. The .45-70 has none of the above.
Well, I was really intending my comment to be more humorous than argumentative...

But I'll respond anyway. Garrett sells a 540gr .45/70 load and there are at least a couple of suppliers loading 500gr 45/70 ammo. I didn't look very hard, but out of the 4 or so ammo makers I checked, I didn't find any .458 Win Mag factory loadings with bullets heavier than 510gr.

So that means that the .45/70 can match the .458 in diameter, bullet weight and sectional density. That leaves only velocity as the primary difference.

Which means if you're going to decry the .45/70 and praise the .458 you need to change your signature (or at least add a caveat.)

I know, I know, we're talking about 400fps or so of velocity difference, but you have to admit, the discussion IS a bit ironic in view of your signature line.

Hey, BTW, didn't you post a review of various dangerous game stopping rifles sometime back? I was looking for it the other day and couldn't find it. IIRC, you went through the list including the CZ rifles and mentioned the common faults you had seen in them over the years. I can't remember your ding on the CZ big-bores... I would greatly appreciate it if you could point me to the thread, or just repeat your comment about the CZ rifles. Thanks!

John

Page generated in 0.01894 seconds with 8 queries