View Single Post
Old May 15, 2012, 10:15 AM   #33
echo7tango

Great topic. Another benefit of both eyes open, besides the increased field of view mentioned, is that there's twice the light getting to the brain. Especially critical in low light.

I've been a one-eyed shooter ever since I learned to shoot 30 years ago and I've done fairly well, but now it's time to see if this old dog can learn a new trick.

I shoot pistols and plan to go to the range and try two things with both eyes open: 'focus on the front sight', or 'focus on the target'. I'll shoot three rounds each way at different aim points (i.e. - 'focus on the front sight' for aim point 1, then 'focus on the target' for aim point 2), then check my target and assess accuracy. Then I'll repeat, again and again.

The truth lies in where the bullet strikes the target, so I'll do this range exercise before deciding how to do any extensive dry fire practice at home.

Note: as I read this thread and try pointing a pencil at an aim point, 'focus on the target' initially seems more natural and easy than does 'focus on the front sight'. But for 30 years I've been a front sight (with one eye) guy. This should be an interesting exercise.

I'll post a follow up after I hit the range.

Page generated in 0.03409 seconds with 8 queries