View Single Post
Old January 6, 2002, 09:40 AM   #1
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Rack it like you mean it.....

Had a tyro contact me about how hard one should pump,and IME, if one person asks, 20 more may benefit if it's posted publicly, so here goes....

I know of NO pump gun, of any era, damaged by hard pumping.OTOH, some pumps, even those of good repute will glitch up if "baby stroked" and/or short stroked.So,whether for sporting or "Serious" use,rack hard and fast. And while we're on the subject....

Shooters of other styles of shotguns usually do best with a handling style of using the front hand to steer with and the strong hand pulls the weapon into the cup of the shoulder area and actuates the trigger and safety.

Pumpgunners oft do best by changing this around. The strong hand still actuates the controls, but it does more of the steering while the forward or support hand pulls the weapon back by grasping the forearm and exerting pressure. As long as the action's locked, all this does is take up the slack between butt and shoulder. When the action unlocks, the pressure aids in starting the forearm and action bars rearward. By keeping the pressure up until the parts reach the stopping point, the action bounces off the receiver and starts forward. A quick move with the support hand, including a wrist move that sets up the proper form, and shot 2-6 goes fast and controlled.

The gain in speed and control is amazing to the beginner. I never talked to Tom Knapp, the man who can handthrow 7 clays and bust them all with a pump before they touch the ground, but I'd bet my favorite gland that's exactly what he does.

Some of us know this already, but many do not.

Hope this helps,and if my poor description leaves you uncomprehending, sing out...

Page generated in 0.03753 seconds with 8 queries