View Single Post
Old August 1, 2001, 09:24 PM   #17
Jhp147

Rangers carry....

The Rangers are indeed the CID of the DPS. Twenty or so years ago, there were only 94 members as an authorized strength. The DPS is not just the Highway Patrol, but also has Driver's License, License and Weight, Safety Education Service, and couple of others I can't recall. They have the same uniform, but the patch color differs and the patch has info on which part of the Department of Public Safety to which they "belong." Same color schemed cars/pickups, all really just a state police.
What they carry....I don't know if they are issued anything in particular, but I have with my own eyes seen them carrying a Sig 220 (after the switch to .357 Sig by DPS), a Browning Hi-Power (stock looking except for ambi-safety) and about 4-5 versions of 1911's, but that was years ago. Each of the 1911's had fancy engraved metal looking grips, a couple with a slotted star badge like the Ranger's. In EACH case, the weapon was carried in a natural tan colored, flowery like design tooled leather gun belt, hung low on one side, with lots of shiny silver and gold on the buckles. The trouser belt, of course, matched. They had quite a bit of latitude at one time, but don't know if that is still true.
Be very wary of believing something just because Ed Sanow says it is true. The 226 and 220 were both issued, but I never saw a trooper carrying anything but a 220, as Juliet Charlie accurately reflects. I would have to have some real proof that the 226s were converted to .357 Sig. Seems like one of the head DPS gurus told me at a seminar that they were TRADING the 226s for whatever number the .357 Sigs were (are) at the time of the switch.

Page generated in 0.02465 seconds with 8 queries