View Single Post
Old December 4, 2012, 02:18 PM   #20
nate45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk
Nate, I do not know where you get your information and this is not the first time you posted about the LRN. The 38 LRN was know as the "Widowmaker" in LE circles for decades, not because it worked so well, but because it did not and the cops that shot the BG's were then killed. A gunshot may be very fatal but yet not stop the attack. I do not care how lethal it is or is not, but I want the attack STOPPED. The 38 special LRN is a dismal performer, even worse than a target WC at 700 fps. It was kept in service, not because it worked, but because it was politically unfeasible for many departments to use magnums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate45
Lots of men and animals have been killed by the 158 grain LRN. Back in the day, before a lot was known about bullet performance. People bought a box of .38 Special LRN, loaded their revolvers and shot what they needed to. If one shot didn't do it, they shot it again.

None of the above is meant to recommend the LRN*. Only to add emphasis to the fact, that the SWC(semi-wadcutter) is a significant step up in wounding effectiveness over the LRN. So it stands to reason that a well placed SWC would work, on the bases of those facts alone.

*new emphasis added
Which is why I've never reccomended it, mentioned it? on ocassion, reccommended it? Not on TFL or anywhere else.

While I agree that LRN has the least wounding potential of all the .38 projectiles, personal observation and logic tell me its not as ineffective as you think it is. If you want to believe that a .357 caliber round nose bullet, moving at 700+ fps passing through someone's teeth and out the back of their skull, or going through their sternum and into, or through their spine, wouldn't be potentially effective in stopping them, thats your perogative.

Now again, one more time, I have never recommended LRN for defense, not now and not in the past 25+ years. There are much better choices, but that doesn't alter history and the truth about uninformed people loading their SD handguns with LRN and successfully defending themselves with it, including physically stopping someone/or some dangerous animal.

Page generated in 0.02763 seconds with 8 queries