View Single Post
Old November 23, 2012, 09:41 AM   #24
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal
You can purge data from an active database.
That doesn't mean the data is purged from any of the backups that are done of the database.
Matter of fact, since purging data from a backup defeats the purpose of doing a backup, then it's very plausible to believe every entry ever made in NICS is still able to be retrieved - provided the right backups of the data are available.
Which is a catch 22..
The "right" backups would be 100% consistent with best practices.

FWIW - I spent from 1993 until August of last year when I retired as a network engineer and database administrator.
The latter ten years of my career were mostly devoted to database administration./database retrieval.
The assumption being that you would bother backing up a database that's supposed to be erased every 24 hours.

Maybe they do, but where's the evidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbt
Speaking of private sales, I've never heard of a receipt being used by any of my friends or relatives during the past 50 or 60 years. (I'm 62.)
Interesting. If I were buying from close friends or family, I wouldn't be too concerned about a receipt but from perfect strangers? No thanks. There's no reason to NOT get a receipt, there's plausible reasons TO get one and there's NO plausible reason to deny one.

I consider it a legitimacy check. I'm not asking for ID or notarized paperwork or proof of ownership or anything silly. I want a piece of paper that says "Brian Pfleuger bought Ruger MkII Serial XYZ123 from John Doe on Nov. 21st, 2012. Signed by John Doe and Brian Pfleuger"

Denying that request would be highly suspicious.

Page generated in 0.03632 seconds with 8 queries