Old July 8, 2012, 04:32 PM   #9
Jerry45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason75979
Was it WLR primers?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1
I suggest that you carefully deprime the cases, catching the primers from each case that has a "hole."

Look at the SIDE of the primer cups and see if there is a CRACK in the primer cup. If so, then the primer cups are cracking and causing the gas leaks when fired.

I have some old CCI 500 primers that occassionally do that. (I have relegated them to low-pressure revolver loads.)

Are the primers doing this old or new? What brand?
It's not the primers. The hole is in the case. I deprimed every one that has done it and the primer is perfect. Look next to the primer at the case. You can see the hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrawesome22
Leaking primer. Classic sign of overpressure.

WLR = Winchester Large Rifle.
The primers aren't leaking. The case is blowing out. If it were due to overpressure why it is only affecting the "new" brass and not the old brass. Why are there no other signs of overpressure. 49.0 gr. is 2.0 gr. under max load in every load table I've checked. It's 2.0 gr. above minim, dead center of load table and what the rifle shoots best. I've been shooting it for years and only the "new" brass is doing this. I have brass from loaded cartridges that I bought and shot in 197?. It hasn't blow out using the same bullets, primers, powder and powder charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncchester
Your photo is too fuzzy to be sure but it looks like you had a blow out in the radius of the primer cup itself. That happens from time to time to all brands of primers due to defects in the copper sheets they get from their suppliers; there is NO way the primer makers can stop it but, thankfully, it's not really hazardous. It does tend to burn some ugly looking pits in the bolt face tho.

It has nothing directly to do with excess pressure but when it happens I religate those primers to use in lower pressure cartridges like .30-30, .35 Remington and pistol cartridges used in lever rifles.
That sound like the problem "except" the brass is the week link not the primers. Primers are perfect when removed. The radius of the primer-"pocket" is blowing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy
Why are you blaming the brass??¿ It's clearly the primers that are at fault.

Looks like a mix-up, using large pistol primers instead of large rifle.

A primer pocket uniformer only works on the bottoms of the primer pocket. So, that is not a concern.
It is not "clearly" the primers. Believe me the hole IS in the shell case. It's in the crease of the 90° bend next to the shoulder/face of the primer. I have pulled the primers and examined them and the case(s) under a magnifying glass and the hole is without a doubt in the case not the primer. The primers are pristine other than the firing pin dent and the "tiny" vertical scratches on the sides from being pressed in and out. There is no soot on the sides of the primers, its only on the face of the primers next to the hole in the case and it wipes off the primer. There is no hole or crack in the primers. When the soot is wiped off the case the hole is "clearly" viable with the naked eye and shows up very well under the magnifying glass.

I know its hard to see in my terrible picture but the dark spot in the upper left corner of the soot is a hole in the case. The black spot above the R is another tiny hole. This is the only case that has two holes all the other just had one. It has to be thin/defective brass. What appears to be dents or burnt spots in the primer next the soot on the case is just soot on the primer. When wiped off there is nothing there.

Last edited by Jerry45; July 8, 2012 at 05:02 PM.

Page generated in 0.03629 seconds with 8 queries