View Single Post
Old June 27, 2012, 02:35 PM   #13
1tfl

I would go with the cast bullet over the XTP. I've shot some .44 caliber XTP into hogs in past years ago and got mixed results with more than few failures.

One 170+ lb. hog was hit in the low front shoulder on a front quartering shot with the 240gr XTP at 1,150 fps out of a short Ruger Super Blackhawk at close range (less than 20 yards). After getting hit he ran 200+ yards before he was taken down with multiple shots from .223 and .308. Later while cleaning the pig I found that the bullet track curved about 35 degress and came out above the right shoulder with minimal wound track... looked like a ice pick wound.

Another time a little larger hog was hit in the rear left shoulder on a rear quartering shot with the same bullet but at 1,250 fps and it ran off. Next evening I found him trotting along in a dry irrigation canal and I put him down with a rifle. When I was cleaning him I could see that the bullet left a large but shallow wound that just penetrate through the ribs and then broke apart. It broke a rib and there was damage to the left lung from the bone shards and pieces of bullet. The bullet failed to penetrate into the chest cavity.

Let me point out that these XTP bullets were very early versions when they first came out. I don't know how current versions compare or perform.

For about two years, my daily carry out in the field was a New Ruger Flattop 44 Special loaded with 250gr WFN cast bullet loaded to 1,000 fps out of the short (4 3/4") barrel. It has never failed to perform on hogs or deers. These days I carry a New Ruger Flattop 45 Colt loaded with 255gr WFN loaded to 950 fps. I've only shot two hogs with it so far but both bullet completely penetrated the animals. Both revolvers and loads are great and I would carry either one with no hesitation but I prefer the 45 Colt because it's a little lighter.

Page generated in 0.03219 seconds with 8 queries