View Single Post
Old June 21, 2010, 08:06 PM   #43
Powderman

There are a couple of potential causes for concern, as far as I can see.

First, it seems that your bullets are ranging in diameter over a wide spectrum. This is unacceptable, if you expect to hit anything past two feet.
I own, and use, different Lee molds. My favorite casts the .45 caliber HG 68 profile, 200 grain LSWC. I size them in a Star lubrisizer at .452, and lube with Javelina Alox. My chosen target load is 3.8 of Clays; this load is very accurate from my guns, and I've been shooting them in Bullseye competition since 1999, with three trips to the Nationals. So, I think you might have a casting temperature problem.

Remember, aluminum molds have to be run HOT. Yes, the bullets might well be frosted--but that's just cosmetic. Heat those molds UP!

I preheat mine on an electric burner set on low for about 20 minutes; when I start casting I discard the first four fills to really bring it up to temperature.

Second, if you can turn the bullet by hand in a loaded round, you are not using the correct sizing die--or you're expanding the case WAY too much. The expander should barely bell the case mouth. Moreover, make sure you are using the correct sizer. Is it one for .44 Special or .44 Magnum?

Your loads with W231 sound good. After some trial and error, I settled on the Keith mid-range load for my .44 Magnum--250 grain Keith type LSWC, cast from wheelweight and sized to .430 inch; lubed with Javelina Alox; loaded on 8.5 grains of Unique. Shoots REALLY well!

Page generated in 0.02694 seconds with 8 queries