View Single Post
Old March 19, 2010, 08:25 AM   #32
Ricky

Conditioning for slf defense

The best conditioning exercise for self defense is to study martial arts. You'll get great cardio conditioning, develop lean muscle tone, increase endurance and actually learn to fight.
I know that a lot of guys think that they just "know" how to fight, some guys that don't have formal training can be pretty tough but there is nothing like learning proper technique and practicing till you do it well without thinking about it. I studied Karate but I suggest you go to a lot of different classes. Karate, Jue-jitsu, boxing etc. and see what you like. Not all classes or teachers are created equal so sit in on as many classes as you can before you settle on one.
If you don't want to study martial arts and just want to be in shape you really should lift weights. It is the most efficient way to build strength. If you don't want to be bulky then lift lighter weights and do more reps. (3 sets of 20 reps instead 10 reps) Mix it up though, don't do the same exercises all the time. Jog, ride a bike, hike a mountain for cardio.
Physical fitness has to become part of your lifestyle. You need to make it a priority and stick with it. You can change your workout but don't be a couch potato.

Page generated in 0.02327 seconds with 8 queries