View Single Post
Old December 30, 2009, 02:24 PM   #10
OuTcAsT

Quote:
peetzakilla, yes staying in side would have kept that particular incident from unfolding. But, if you cannot go outside on your own property, you've given up rights. That's what the Stand Your Ground law is all about - not having to vacate your legal and ligit space, where ever you happen to be.
sundog, I believe that what peet is trying to say is that even though the "stand your ground" law does give you a statutory right to protect yourself, one must choose his battles carefully. Being in a conflict with six people, when you are only armed with a handgun is an incredibly bad idea. Just because you have a right to do something, doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Notice what Mr. Abshire said;

Quote:
"My intention was 'everybody stay back, let the police handle it,' but I don't think in their state of mind, they cared,"
Had he followed that instinct, the incident would likely have not escalated, or perhaps even taken place at all.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -

Page generated in 0.02421 seconds with 8 queries