View Single Post
Old July 17, 2006, 01:19 AM   #1
TexanInOhio4

Another newb with ??s on .223 reloading

Okay...I think I've officially caught the reloading bug.

I've been reading everything I can find here, on other forums, and on various manufacturer's websites for the past week or so (to get a very basic understanding of things), and have already sorted by headstamp and cleaned (in a vibrating cleaner at work) 2000+ cases of fired .223/5.56. I'm thinking about ordering equipment in the next few days, and need help to figure out what else I might need (or not). I'm planning on reloading around 100 rounds/week for both plinking and bench shooting with my 24" Bushmaster.

Here's what's on my goodie sheet so far:

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Press Master Kit
(Includes: Press, 5-0-5 scale, hand priming tool, Uniflow powder measure, Speer #13 reloading manual, case loading block, case lube kit, primer tray, powder funnel, and deburring tool)
RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo (about half of my brass is military WCC and LC)
RCBS Pow'r Pull Bullet Puller
Lyman 48th edition reloading manual
Cleaning media and seperator (and continue using cleaner at work)
Flash hole deburring tool (if needed)
Primer pocket uniformer (if needed)

I already own a 6" dial caliper and a 1" micrometer.

Now for the 20 questions...

While I've got the cash for a Dillon 550B, a good single stage press will suffice for the amount of shooting I want to do, right? (and spend the savings on other things like components, haz-mat charges, etc.)

Which dies will work best for .223 in my AR while maximizing my brass life?

Is it possible to only neck size .223 brass for use in AR15's (since I'll be reusing the brass in the same gun), or do I have no choice but to use a full-length resize die or even a small base die?

Do I need to crimp .223 for use in my AR15? If it is necessary, should I use the crimp that the seating dies will provide or would I require a seperate crimping die? If so, which is the best type/manufacturer of crimp dies?

I saw that midsouthshooterssupply.com has a better price than most on the above equipment. Does anyone else that you know of sell for less?

I know that's probably a lot for one post (my first here)...just trying to get started on the right foot (and place one order).

Thanks for anyone's help,

Mike

Page generated in 0.03931 seconds with 8 queries