View Single Post
Old November 28, 2019, 01:01 PM   #92
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
I never said that it would have anything to do with what I feel is needed ( should it occur).
How else could it be relevant to the thread?

Quote:
I was suggesting that it could have a bearing on what a person decides to carry in regards to capacity.
Not if the decision is a logical one.

Consider the likelihood of a kitchen fire. It is very low.

But tthe severity of the potential consequnces is such that many of us choose to mitigate it. I do,

The low likelihood of occurrence would never properly justify a decision to have a fire extinguisher containing a mere cubic centimeter or two of material. If a fire occurs, putting it out will take what it takes, the low risk of occurrence notwithstanding.

Does that help?

Quote:
What I am saying is that people may settle for less capabilities if they consider the risk to be rather low.
Yes, sone people do approach the issue in that manner, but it is unsound, from the standpoint of statistical analysis.

Full disclosure: at one time, I did approach my carry decision in that manner, but then someone on TFL questioned the logic, and I realized the folly,

Before I ever started carrying, I co-wrote the risk management procedures for a major corporation. And yet, I initially ignored what I knew.

Quote:
I agree, it doesn't really matter how unlikely you are to get into a gunfight if you already know the gunfight is going to happen or is happening.
Good.

What is it, then, that you have been trying to say?

Quote:
JohnKSa made a thoughtful comment which included a reference to stats and I tend to agree with what he said. The Stats as he framed them in his comment are indeed relevant as far as I am concerned.
John's comments have been entirely consistent with mine.

To wit, "...if you decide you do want to prepare for a gunfight, then start thinking about how to do that and STOP thinking about how unlikely they are--".

Page generated in 0.02680 seconds with 8 queries