View Single Post
Old September 18, 2018, 12:28 PM   #49
DPris
Member Emeritus

Using Korth and Dan Wesson as examples of a two-piece barrel success is irrelevant to the S&W discussion.

I can't discuss a foreign situation regarding product & after-buy service, since I'm not there.

Here in the US, though, I can.

It's not the two-piece barrel idea in itself that's the concern.
Done CORRECTLY, as in both design & serviceability, there's no problem.
The concerns with the Smith approach is the breakage at both ends that I've seen photos of, and the inability of either the owner or the average local gunsmith to service if barrel service is needed.

Barrel breakage is pretty much unheard-of in the DW design.
It IS rare in the Smiths, but it has happened.
The company appears to have altered the front flange, at least on the last 66 I had here.
If so, that may eliminate that potential weakness.
And I freely admits the odds of your new two-piece S&W barrel breaking ARE not high.
But, again- it's happened.

On the serviceability issue- the vast majority of two-piece barrel buyers will never need or want after-buy service on those guns.
S&W is playing the odds there, for both them AND you.

But- if a forcing cone wears out with heavy use & needs work, your local guy can't do it because he doesn't have the special tool to remove the barrel.
If you should decide you want a barrel swap, same deal.

ANY work involving barrel removal has to be sent back to the factory, including the most simple stuff like cleaning up a worn cone & setting the barrel back slightly.
That ain't covered by warrantee, and S&W isn't going to pay shipping.

Again- this involves a very low percentage of buyers, and the company banks on it.

One other issue in passing: If you think the shroud makes a canted front sight impossible, think again.
And if yours is, your local guy can't just do a simple barrel turn to correct it.

These are the concerns some of us have on the Smith two-piecers.
None of those apply to the DWs.
A DW owner can R&R his or her own barrel on the kitchen table, and any competent gunsmith can do barrel work on one.

For most Smith buyers, they neither know nor care.
Denis

Page generated in 0.02333 seconds with 8 queries