View Single Post
Old August 29, 2016, 02:15 PM   #1
Screwball

Looking for a New Finish for Ithaca Shotgun

I just got my Ithaca 87 (37) squared away to the point where I'm happy with it as a defensive shotgun. Put on new wood, and redid the barrel (cut down to 20", new sights, threaded for Remington chokes). Only other thing I'm going to do is some Velcro on the side, so I can use shotgun cards as a side saddle... but holding off on that until I'm finished.

I believe the original finish was Parkerized, which I wouldn't have a problem with, but would like to go with something a little tougher, as well as looking good. Looking to get input on different refinishing options.

I don't want to do anything spray/bake on, unless it is extremely durable. This is more of a backup shotgun (my 870 Police tends to stay alongside my bed), but I rather it hold up to basic wear (light scratches) quite well. I also prefer good corrosion resistance.

Color wise, nothing too far away from traditional (no FDE, no OD). I'm happy with a nickel look (matte, not shiny). Can do Parkerizing again, as the original is a little worn on certain parts. Don't mind a black finish, either... as long as the durability is there.

I have two main options so far... first being sending it to CCR. They have done great work with my other firearms, so I know I'll be happy with it. Ideally, I'd like to do cera-plate on all the metal, but unsure on their ability to do the barrel and magazine tube. Worst case, I can have them Parkerize the externals and plate the internals. I did send them an email, but they usually have issues with email communication between myself and them.

The second option is Robar, doing NP3. My 870 Police was done in NP3 Plus, but it is $470 for that. For $370, I'd get a decent finish (if I go with them, I'm sure I'll put in the extra for NP3 Plus, but I rather not spend that much on the shotgun). I looked at Roguard, but cannot see it being more durable that a plating.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Only other companies I had do finishing work was DGR and Shuff's. Wasn't a fan of DGR (when Dean was running it), but might check with them again to see what work they could do. Shuff's was open to doing Parkerizing on a Winchester 1897 that I was going to do a similar project with... but just had to take it completely apart. The Ithaca isn't as complicated as an 1897, so that is another option.

Thanks for taking a look.

Last edited by Screwball; August 29, 2016 at 02:57 PM.

Page generated in 0.02270 seconds with 8 queries