View Single Post
Old September 12, 2011, 05:25 PM   #18
Alaska444

Unloaded open carry is a bit more complicated. The law prohibiting carry within 1000 feet of a school zone renders unloaded open carry pretty much useless. For instance, my home in CA is about 200 feet from a school. Thus, I am unable to carry outside of my house except in my fenced backyard. It serves me little to have that right other than for an intellectual discussion of keeping that small right. I cannot even carry in the front yard because that area is considered public space since there is no fence.

CA is not a reasonable place for concealed carry either. In LA county where I reside, unless you are a big time celebrity, you will NOT get a CCW permit period. It is a MAY issue state with some counties quite reasonable such as Kern County which is only 5 miles away from my house. In Kern County, issue of a CCW permit is essentially shall issue since most of its citizens live in areas with little access to a police response in less than 30 minutes. Some areas are quite remote out in the desert with poorly maintained dirt roads.

I am not holding my breath for things to change for the positive anytime soon. My choice is to move as soon as I can arrange all of the details which will likely be about two more years.

The political makeup of the state is relevant since this state has an incredible hold by the liberal Dems who inhabit the urban centers which outvotes the rest of the rural areas in the state. I don't see this changing any time soon. In fact, in the midst of our worst fiscal crises ever, CA reelected the man most responsible for the fiscal policies that has led to our current fiscal outlook.

So while folks may get upset about the political inclinations of this state on this site, it is a political reality that I live with at the current time with little remedy available to me to overcome it. In about 2 years, I will simply vacate this fight since it is not winnable from a political standpoint at this time when I move full time to the Pacific Northwest.

Page generated in 0.07508 seconds with 8 queries