Thread: new 550
View Single Post
Old June 17, 2001, 02:15 PM   #10
Steve Smith

Yet another welcome to our Super-Secret-Squirrel-Handshake Club of Reloading! You've decided to enrich your shooting experience tenfold. You'll no longer just only pull the trigger, Now yuo'll be making your rifle or pistol respond with your experimentation! You may never save a dime. You may even spend more than you used to...but for sure, you'll shoot more, and you'll be able to find a recipie that will allow you to shoot more accurately, too!

Well, you've already gotten a pretty good list going,I do have a few tips of my own:

Look for a cheap used turret press. Yes, this is an accessory to a Dillon. I used my Dillon for quite a while, but eventually bought a used Lyman Spar-T turret press as an addition. It now holds a lot of unique operation items that just don't go in the Dillon well since my toolheads are being used. Some of these are special size dies, primer pocket reamers, and the latest, a collet type bullet puller. That brings me to my next point.

I firmly believe that the impact bullet puller is a real stone age device. If you wind up getting a turret or even a single stage to accessorize your Dillon, consider heavily the RCBS or Forster collet bullet bullers. You put it where a die goes, raise the ram with the cartridge on it, tighten the collet, and lower the ram. No whacking, no destruction of the puller (as is inevitable with the impact type), and you can re-use your powder. It's really the thinking man's pullet puller, (of course would a REAL thinking man even

need a bullet puller? Anyway, jsut something to think about.

The RCBS primer tray is good, and the extra pick-up tubes is almost a must-have. If you're loading for rifles, you'll need some type of trimmer an deburr tool. If you need to be cheap, consider the Lee lock-stud, cutter, shellholder, and case-length gague...for $12 you can trim your cases. Add a power drill and it's way fast. I have a Forster myself, but the Lee looks pretty darn good.

Things you don't need: Strong mount, powder sensor.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member

Page generated in 0.02741 seconds with 8 queries