View Single Post
Old March 25, 2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Thoughts on CCW classes...

so I've had my permit long enough now, that I've been through 2 training classes ( had to renew after the 1st 5 years )

couple buddy's & I are in the same situation...

I honestly I feel the classes offered around here are too easy, they don't spend enough time with legalese ( where you can carry, where you can't ) & even if you could hit the broad side of a barn with your gun on the range...

1st class, shooting was actually done IMO, in an unsafe place... instructor sidelines as an instructor, has a personal indoor range in his metal fabrication shop ( steel & equipment all over ) looks like a ricochet nightmare... several people couldn't even hit a man size target in low light ( no eye deer where all those stray bullets went, as I got out of there as soon as I could )...

2nd class was better than the 1st, both as far as education, & safety of the range, as range time was done on a private outdoor range, but there was at least 1/2 the class that had "issues" with their handguns ( I'd suspect "limp wristing" ) many who couldn't put more than one bullet on the target at close range

neither class failed to give out a permit, even though some people put as few as 1 bullet in 20 onto the target at close range...

I'm an enthusiast, & performed as I expected, & wouldn't expect newbies to perform to that level, but it's my opinion, that some of those people should have taken a fire arms safety class 1st, & spent some more range time, before trying to get their permit to carry...

I take the responsibility of carrying a gun seriously, & I mean, they do fail people who are trying for a drivers license who aren't good enough or knowledgeable enough ... is carrying a gun any less dangerous, if the person is unfamiliar with the gun ??? does it really do us, as "gun people" any service, by allowing "really" unqualified & under educated ( about gun laws & basic safety rules ) people to carry guns ???

your thoughts ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; March 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM.

Page generated in 0.03514 seconds with 8 queries