View Single Post
Old January 31, 2013, 03:42 PM   #17
snuffy

Good, some data! Bothe 4895 AND 4198 are still made. And they're very close to the same burning rate. That silver tube with the handle at an angle is the powder dipper. You would pour some of either powder in a cup, then dip/scoop the dipper in it, then strike the top off flush. I don't see a funnel in that kit, so you'd have to somehow pour the powder in the primed-sized case.

A quick check in my Lyman third edition cast bullet handbook lists the 311299 as a gas checked bullet. I don't know just how the bullet sizer on that nutcracker/tong tool works, but it should be able to apply a gas check at the same time as you size/lube the bullet.

All the loads in the cast bullet manual call for shotgun type powders. The reason is; they wanted to keep the velocities down so there would be less leading. Max velocity listed is 1515 fps.

I searched the cast boolits forum in the mil-surp category, then narrowed the search to 303 loads. Not much info, as most use the shotgun powders, some use alliant 2400.

I'm a member of loadData.com, as such I have access to a wide assortment of specialty loads. I found some that use winchester 748 and 760 for loads in the 2,000 fps range.

Here's the method for figuring a trail boss load for any cartridge.\;

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail%20B...oads%20R&P.pdf

That might be where you want to look for loads for use with those cast boolits. You CAN shoot those without a gas check(GC). Accuracy is sometimes not as good as with the GC

As for adding tin to your pure lead, tin doe not harden lead much. What it does do is make the lead flow better, giving better fill-out and lets it melt at lower temps. What you need to REALLY harden it is antimony. In combination with tin, the lead is harder. Antimony is present in magnum shot, linotype, and wheel weights. Actually straight wheel weights is very good for casting rifle.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.02781 seconds with 8 queries