View Single Post
Old September 22, 2012, 01:53 AM   #40
Powderman

Folks, there are plenty of helpful intentions on the board.

That being said, there are also a lot of (unintentional, I'm sure) efforts to buttonhole this lady into a .380.

Why?

A quick story...

We had a female officer who had just been hired and was getting ready to go to the Academy. She chose to use a personal firearm, instead of the issued Glock 22.

Well, some gun store salesperson talked her into an XD40. Great guns, and I love the entire XD series--but they do not fit small hands well. Her grip put the base joint of her thumb right into the backstrap. She was not happy, the gun actually hurt--and she could not manage to qualify.

After watching her try to qualify for the second time, I had an idea. I asked her to unload and clear, and set her pistol to the side.

I then handed her my duty sidearm--a Colt Gov't Model enhanced 1911, in .45. It's not box stock--there are Champion night sights with a trijicon front, an Ed Brown beavertail, a mainspring housing checkered at 20 LPI--and a short trigger. I also have it fitted with Hogue rubber grips.

She accepted the pistol, gripped it and looked at me with some surprise. "It fits! This gun feels good," she said.

I handed her two magazines with duty ammunition--at that time, 230 grain HydraShok. For those who have used this round, these things are HOT (right at 960 fps from my gun).

We had targets set at 7 and 10 yards. She ate the X-ring out on both targets--no flyers. I asked how firing the .45 felt. She said, "It's comfortable. More of a push, no sharp recoil, and it settled right back on target."

Once again, let her pick what she wants, and what she feels comfortable with. That includes caliber.

Page generated in 0.03358 seconds with 8 queries