View Single Post
Old December 13, 2009, 01:52 AM   #64
output

Hmm...

OP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy_mclure
ive been reading a lot of threads that people talk about their "basic load" which can include:
hand gun(or 2), spare mag/speedloader(or more), flashlight, pepperspray, large knife, phone, dummy wallet, real wallet, cash in a money clip, keys, and a small dog

but seriously where do all you guys carry this stuff? do you have the bat belt or something? a 21L fanny pack? 5.1 khakis with a special pocket for everything?

i feel burdened down with my wallet, p32, phone, knife, and keys.
even the bit i do carry seems excessive, even tho i can find no way to further reduce the load(i have the smallest/lightest phone att has), and am not ready to go .22lr yet.

are you one of the guys above?
Didn’t include the second post…but it was noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen E. Meyer
The first two posters would benefit by some experience with trained folks in a good street tactical class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanya
The whole issue is specious, actually.

It's not really about "How much is enough?" or "What should you be prepared for?"

It's about the fact that people's interests differ.

For anyone who isn't required to carry a gun on the job [ETA: or facing a known, specific threat], having an interest in guns is a hobby, or a lifestyle choice, if you will. Some people are interested in large-caliber rifles and big game hunting, some people in shotguns and upland game hunting, and some are interested in handguns and self-defense (and shotguns and SD, etc., etc. ). Some people just like to have guns, whether or not they call it "collecting," and don't actually shoot them all that much. Some people are interested in a combination of those things, or some other aspect of the sport. All of these are fine.

Some folks have a very high level of interest in self-defense: they do a lot of research and spend a lot of money on the best possible tools and training, they travel most weekends to attend workshops or participate in defensive shooting competitions. They do all this because they like it. They enjoy it. It's fun.

And that's great. But they also need to justify the time and money they spend on what is basically a leisure activity. This is especially true in our rather puritanical culture, in which the whole idea of leisure, of doing things just because we enjoy them, is still morally suspect.

Believing that it's important to be prepared is a great rationale, not least because it happens to be true.

If you're spending a lot of time and money on self-defense, it's useful to believe that you're doing so because it's necessary in order to protect you and yours from real danger. But the odds that the average person will ever need a firearm are rather low, and the chances of being present at a riot, rampage shooting, or other event involving multiple shots or several assailants are... well, vanishingly small.

So there's a lot of potential for cognitive dissonance here: why spend so much time and money preparing for something so unlikely?

People resolve this in a couple of ways: some resolve it by perceiving more risk than there actually is, which is easy when we live in a media culture in which fear sells, and we're deluged with information about these statistically unlikely events whenever they do occur. For these people, a high level of perceived risk allows them to justify what they're doing.

Other people, like you, Glenn, assess the risk more accurately, but put more emphasis on the consequences of not being prepared for any eventuality: they know this is life-and-death stuff, so the time and money they spend is a good investment, and they like the feeling of preparedness that comes with carrying a gun, spare magazines, a backup, a knife or two, and a flashlight.

For a great many other gun owners, for whom self-defense isn't a primary interest, it still makes sense to carry a gun for protection, and/or keep one or two ready for home defense. They're entirely happy just to carry a five-shot revolver, which they know they'll probably never need. They're just not that into it, and that's fine.

It's a matter of interest and emotional investment, not [just] one of facts or statistics.
I have quoted the writing that I would like to highlight (obviously). The problem with Vanya’s way of thinking is that (it is not [just] one of facts or statistics.) for the one, two, three, or even four or more % of people that fall victim. You keep pretending that everyone that falls victim is just a [statistic] and let me know how that fairs at the end of the day when and if it happens to YOU. If you kept your eyes open you might find that there really is a lot of dissonance… I suppose you have a point though even if you don’t realize it. Assess risk as you will, just know that there is a valid reason as to why some people believe and exercise their rights to protect themselves and others as they do (which is what I believe makes our country so great!).

I see lots of people post about “others” being paranoid...or prepared. Rational, it is lovely isn’t it? As Glen said “it's no skin of my back if you are in the intense situation and don't have the stuff.”

Page generated in 0.02959 seconds with 8 queries