View Single Post
Old January 19, 2009, 10:55 PM   #16

I hear you brother. Been there, done that.

I should post a thread someday on the various problems I have had buying NFA items. If I am not mistaken, there has been some kind of an issue with each and every one of them.

Just a couple:
I bought a suppressor from a dealer on-line. I waited a long time but finally they say they shipped it. Nothing comes. I tell my dealer about it. He says, let me try something just on a hunch: he calls a gun store in UTAH, that has the same name as his store in Nevada. Sure enough they sent it to that dealer. That dealer didn't know what it was and figured that eventually someone would call him and tell him what to do with it. So my dealer tells him to transfer it to him: that guy doesn't know what he is talking about. My dealer ends up filling out all the paperwork, sending it to the dealer in Utah for him to sign and send into ATF to transfer it to him. In summary, I waited for months on the original dealer to get the item from the manufacturer. Then I waited on the transfer from that dealer to my dealer. He sent it to the wrong dealer and several weeks passed before we figured out where it went. Then I waited for several more weeks before the Utah dealer figured out how to do the paperwork to send in so I could wait for ANOTHER dealer to dealer transfer after which I could then START my own transfer from dealer to me.

Another one. I was on vacation in Utah (maybe it has something to do with Utah). I stopped at a dealer whom I met on an online forum. He had a Tactical Innovations TAC 65 IN STOCK. I bought it, had all the paperwork straightened out to transfer it to my dealer in Neavda before I left the store. I went on with my vacation. Months go by. I am not one to call people and bug them about stuff like this. I realize the process is very slow, I have been through it numerous times but finally I call the dealer in Utah to find out what is going on. It seems that they sent in a bunch of forms to ATF, and THEY waited several months without hearing anything, so they called ATF to find out what the problem was. ATF informs them that their FFL is expired. Sure enough, it is, they didn't realize it but ATF just left their paperwork sitting there and made no effort to call them and tell them there was a problem. So now I had to wait on their license renewal, then for the transfer from them to my dealer so I could start my paperwork.

I have two suppressors waiting on paperwork at another dealer. I made an impulse buy after the election. They had them in stock so I figured this would be a snap. Well, it seems the FFL holder is out of the country and won't be back for a couple weeks.

The transfer before that, I bought an AOW shotgun from an individual online. He says he sent the paperwork to my dealer. My dealer says he didn't get it. They spend several weeks blaming each other for not getting the paperwork until I finally had to get nasty with the guy and tell him I don't give a damn who's fault it is, I demand that he send me a new set of paperwork to my house, overnight and I will ensure that my dealer gets it.

I could keep going. This is an unbelievable hassle and it is not the ATF's fault. It is the clowns that we have to deal with: the dealers and the manufacturers. Every problem I have had in my 20 some tranfers was caused by either a dealer or a manufacturer and NOT the ATF.

In closing let me just say that my first two suppressors took over TWO YEARS to actually take home.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.

Page generated in 0.03392 seconds with 8 queries