Thread: Deer Roping
View Single Post
Old February 27, 2007, 02:43 AM   #20
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
There is a story I read about a bunch of ranch hands way back in the ranch days whi would wrestle with deer. There was a long long deer fence about 12 feet high that they couldn't jump over so the boys would get in a jeep and go up and down the fence until they kicked up a buck and had it running between them and the fence. Then one guy, probably named Earl or Ed, would climb on the hood and jump off grabbing the antlers and taking it down to the ground.

Now one day they had a bunch of city folk come into the ranch and, as campfires go, told stories of their adventures with these deer. Now one man in particular didn't believe a word he heard so the boys promised a demonstration the next day. That morning, the work went on as usual until evening when they got in the jeep with the slicker and started riding up and down the fence again.

Soon enough they encountered a little spike and Ed or Earl got up on the hood to get ready for his jump. Thing is, when they got close enough the jeep bounced over an old overgrown rut, launching the ranch hand in front of the jeep and they ended up running over the poor guy. They slid to a stop, hopped out and ran over to see the damage.
"You ok buddy?" one of the boys asked.
"Yeah I'm fine," was the answer
Then he tried to stand up. As he got to his feet he wobbled a couple of steps and fell over. Then he got up and tried again but to no avail.
"I think both my legs is broke," he said.
When they got him to the ranch to look at him, he was completely unscathed. Only thing is both heels broke off his cowboy boots.

Page generated in 0.03446 seconds with 8 queries